I recently had an orange and olive oil cake that our in house kitchen made for a client lunch – it was fantastic. I must ask them for the recipe, as it had great texture, and they must have used semolina or almond meal. In the meantime I modified a recipe by Mario Batali (who I think is great!). A delicate, lovely cake.
100ml extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup caster sugar
1 1/4 cups 00 flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
Icing sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees (fan forced)and grease 9-inch round cake pan and line the base with baking paper.
2. Zest and juice the orange, and combine in a bowl with the olive oil
3. In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat eggs and salt together until frothy. Slowly add sugar while continuing to mix (about 2 more minutes).
5. Combine the flour and baking soda and gradually add to egg mixture. Mix about 1 more minute.
6. Gently fold the orange and olive oil mixture into the batter
7. Pour batter into prepared pan and place in oven and bake 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in centre of cake comes out clean.
8. Turn onto a wire rack to cool, then dust with icing sugar and serve