This is really simple and delicious. Usually I put it in a big bowl with a ladle on the table, and everyone can help themselves, but you could serve it individually at a dinner party. You want nice just ripe fruit so that it will keep it’s shape, if it is too ripe it will fall apart. Serves 8.
300g caster sugar
1 star anise
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
Juice of 1 lime
2 yellow peaches
2 white peaches
2 yellow nectarines
2 white nectarines
2 blood plums
2 white plums
1. Peel all the fruit, cut in half to remove the stone, then cut each half into thirds
2. Place 1 litre of water, sugar, lime juice, star anise and vanilla bean paste in a pot and give it a good whisk. Bring it to the boil.
3. Add the fruit, allow it to boil for a minute, then remove from heat and cover the pot with a lid for an hour.
4. Put the contents in a bowl and allow to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until ready to serve.
5. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.