Simple and delicious.
75g unsalted butter, softened
170g caster sugar
3 eggs, separated
175g plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
zest of 1 lemon
3 tbsp lemon juice
icing sugar for dusting
1. Grease a 22cm baking tin and line the base with baking paper. Preheat oven to 180 degrees
2. Cream the butter and sugar until smooth
3. Add the egg yolks one at a time and combine. Beat in the ricotta and lemon zest
4. Add the lemon juice, baking powder and flour and combine well
5. In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites till they form stiff peaks. Add to the cake batter and fold in gently.
6. Poor mixture into cake pan, and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until skewer in the centre comes out clean
7. Turn out and allow to cool on a cake rack, dust with icing sugar once cool