A delicate and not too sweet treat.
120 gm natural almonds
220 gm softened unsalted butter
75g pure icing sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
1 egg yolk
30 ml Sambuca
330 gm plain flour
3½ tsp baking powder
2 tbsp rosewater, or to taste
Additional icing sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Spread almonds on an oven tray and roast, stirring occasionally, until golden (5-6 minutes). When cool, coarsely chop and set aside.
2. Beat butter, 75gm icing sugar and vanilla bean paste in an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in yolk and sambuca, occasionally scraping down sides of bowl.
3. Sift in flour and baking powder, add almonds and stir to form a stiff dough, then turn onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
4. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to 1.5cm-thick. Cut into shapes as desired and place on baking trays lined with baking paper.
5. Bake until light golden (18-20 minutes), cool on trays for 5 minutes, then sprinkle with rosewater. Dust heavily with icing sugar, cool completely on trays.