Serves 8. Can be served hot or at room temperature. If zucchini flowers are available, these make a lovely decorative layer.
3 large zucchini
1 brown onion
good handful of basil
sprig of rosemary
2 spring onions (shallots)
100g grated parmesan
4 large potatoes
3tbsp olive oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1. Boil potatoes until just cooked, allow to cool then slice using a mandolin (3mm slices). Season lightly.
2. Slice zucchini in 3mm slices
3. Dice onion, and slice spring onions
4. Heat olive oil in a large pan and saute onion until soft, add spring onions, and finely diced rosemary
5. Add zucchini and cook for about 5 mins until softened. Allow mixture to cool slightly
6. Preheat oven to 170 degrees
7. Combine potato, zucchini mixture, parmesan, torn basil and ricotta. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Grease a 26cm springform pan, line base with baking paper which comes halfway up the sides of the pan
9. Pattern a layer of zucchini down the bottom, then layer the rest of the mixture, smoothing so nice and flat
10. Lightly beat the eggs, and pour over the top
11. Bake for 30-40 mins. Allow to rest in tin for 15 mins before turning out.