This simple cake is an ideal accompaniment to your morning caffelatte.
400g plain cake flour
2 tbsp baking powder
pinch of salt
finely grated zest of 1 small lemon
150g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
75ml lemon juice
6 large eggs
175g caster sugar
1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees. Grease and flour a 20cm square cake pan.
2. Sift flour, and combine with baking powder, salt, and lemon zest
3. In another bowl combine milk, butter and lemon juice
4. Beat eggs and sugar together until thick and pale
5. Gradually fold in flour mixture and liquid mixture in alternating batches until it is smooth
6. Pour into cake tin and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean
7. Enjoy with your morning coffee!