Flicking through an old edition of Gourmet Traveller, I stumbled across Buzo’s cabbage salad recipe. Great if entertaining a crowd with a variety of dishes as its quite a big serve.
100g Iranian raisins (or seedless raisins)
125 ml (½ cup) marsala
600g savoy cabbage
1-2 tbsp white balsamic or white wine vinegar
100g pine nuts
4 cups (loosely packed) flat-leaf parsley leaves
For the Salad cream
4 egg yolks
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tsp Dijon mustard
300 ml olive oil
100 ml pouring cream
1. Place raisins in a bowl and cover with marsala, and leave overnight
2. Finely slice cabbage
3. Lightly toast pinenuts
4. Toast sourdough and tear into small pieces
5. Grate pecorino
6. Coarsely chop parsley
1. For salad cream, process egg yolks, vinegar and mustard in a food processor until combined, then gradually add oil in a thin, steady stream until emulsified. Transfer to a small bowl, stir through cream and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Refrigerate until needed.
2. Combine cabbage and vinegar in a bowl, toss to coat and stand for 10 minutes.
3. Drain raisins, discarding marsala, and add to cabbage with pine nuts and half the breadcrumbs, pecorino and parsley. Add salad cream, toss gently to combine and season to taste. Serve immediately scattered with remaining breadcrumbs, pecorino and parsley.