A decadent and devine cake.
6 egg whites pinch of salt
1 ½ cups caster sugar 250g pitted dates
250g hazelnuts 100g milk chocolate
100g dark chocolate
300ml thickened cream 250g mascarpone
2tbps sifted icing sugar 1 tbps Cointreau
50g dark chocolate 50g milk chocolate
50ml thickened cream 20g butter
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees. Roast hazelnuts for 10 minutes on a baking tray. Remove and peel off skin. Chop coarsely
- Chop pitted dates
- Finely chop the chocolate for the torte
- On three pieces of baking paper, draw a circle using a 19cm plate (entrée size) and place each sheet on a baking tray
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees
- For the torte, place the eggwhites in a bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium speed until it becomes foamy. Gradually add the sugar. Then beat on high for 5 minutes or until white and glossy.
- Fold in the dates, hazelnuts and chocolate
- Spread the mixture evenly using the three different circles, creating 3 layers
- Bake for 40 minutes or until golden and firm. Cool on the trays
- Meanwhile, for the cream filling, beat the cream and mascarpone until soft peaks form. Add Cointreau and icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- For the glaze, place ingredients in a bowl and place bowl over pan of simmering water. Stir until the mixture is melted and smooth. Allow to cool slightly.
- To assemble, place one torte layer on the bottom, cover with half the cream, then the next layer, then the other half of the cream, then decorate with chocolate glaze.